Project: “Complementary and operational strengthening of control measures and protection in the Guanacaste Conservation Area Protected Marine Sector."
Guanacaste Conservation Area, located in northeast Costa Rica.
Named World Heritage site in 1999 by the UNESCO.
Some of the problems facing this area are related to the safety and effectiveness in the maritime routes to control and protect marine biodiversity and fight against those who commit criminal acts and illegal activities within the marine protected area.
Improving the security of staff and support staff and facilitating the boarding maneuvers during night navigation is also needed.
Added to this is the urgent need for effective means of communication between the Monitoring and Research Station of the San Jose Island to the mainland, specifically to the Operations Center located in the Santa Rosa Sector, Guanacaste Conservation Area.
Also there is a need to complement the control and protection operations, confiscations and findings through audiovisual material to present evidence to the Ministerio Público, supporting research and document issues for teaching purposes.
And likewise, to achieve long-range identification, names and registration of boats and fishing equipment detection in the water.
- Put at least two radio equipment systems, with which communication is safer and more effective, in order to make daily reports of operations and deal appropriately with any type of emergency.
- Purchase a digital camera, with accessories.
- Install a jointed, very bright halogen lamp in the ROTHSCHILDIA GPC6462 boat, as part of the necessary support equipment for night navigation.
- Provide special waterproof binoculars, with a compass, as an accessory in the marine work required to recognize the same, boats, characteristics and activities within the SMP.
- Buy Radar for the ROTHSCHILDIA, GPC 6462 boat, covering a range of 24 nautical miles.
Project resources allowed for the purchase of:
- Radar: LAWRANCE, mod. LMS 522C, Antenna LRA-1500, 24 nautical miles, GPS functions
- Radio communicator: KENWOOD, mod. TK-7102 HK, 8 channels, voice distorter
- Halogen Lamp: GOLIGHT, mod. 5167, control distance, 400thousand candles, 5,5 amps
- Binoculars: FUJINON, marine use, digital compass
- CDigital Cameral: SONY, mod. DSC-W200, 12 megapixels, with attachments for underwater use
$7.000 US dollars.